I’ve been reading Mark’s Gospel lately, and as I read yesterday about Jesus turfing people out of the temple, one word stood out to me: ἐδίδασκεν. He was teaching them. The whole section gives the impression of being carefully planned by Jesus, for the purpose of making a point to his disciples…
- He gives detailed instructions to two disciples about getting a (Messianically significant) foal – perhaps having pre-arranged this with the owners
- He makes a point of cursing a figtree which is not even in season – for failing to produce fruit
- He enters the temple, which has, throughout Mark, been depicted as failing to produce the fruit of true purification
- As if trying to force the hand of his opponents, Jesus makes a ruckus in the temple, seizing on a relatively mild symptom of the temple’s fruitlessness
- And in the midst of this, Mark tells us that Jesus ἐδίδασκεν.
Exciting stuff… can’t wait to find out how it ends! 😉